Lots of new and exciting things are happening, and here are a few highlights:
- There are 12 excursions scheduled over October – December; of these, 6 are either entirely new or hikes containing new aspects
- There are 8 different Walk Leaders, who are responsible for leading the Cyprus Strollers on these 12 activities; this represents a great accomplishment, and is a clear sign of the true hiking spirit, a spirit of togetherness, sharing and giving; please join me in applauding Amanda, Christos, Ian, Laurent, Lowell, Mary and Patricia, the Walk Leaders for October – December 2015, alongside Xenophon
- In compiling the Schedule, effort has been made to plan repeat hikes on the alternate day of the weekend, than conducted before, following a request from members
- On the inaugural hike on 3 October, and for the 1st time, we are offering participants the choice of selecting between a taverna meal or a picnic at the end; this choice is not feasible on many walks, but where possible, we can repeat the benefit
- Also on the 3 October outing, and for the 1st time, we are offering a linear hike where we shall not walk back to the starting point, because it would make hiking too long and arduous; inadvertently, this calls for special driving arrangements and registering in advance; please study the instructions very carefully and abide by them, respecting the organizers’ efforts and other participants
In your evaluation and comments you also requested earlier start times, thus the usual start time for the car trip from Nicosia is 9:45 am. Several Strollers want an earlier start time particularly on hot days; with this in mind, the 3 October hike leaves Nicosia at 9:00 am. We shall continue to monitor weather conditions and bring about modifications, where possible.
Some of you prefer tavernas, others prefer picnics. We shall continue to offer both. A picnic is only possible, when the weather is fine. On some destinations, a picnic is chosen, because there is no taverna in the vicinity.
A few expressed a desire to move to a different taverna when we return to the same area, for the sake of variety. Unfortunately, this is not feasible; either because it is a burden to search for, get to know and agree with a new proprietor every time, or because some tavernas have limited space or limited menu. Importantly, no Stroller made a negative comment concerning our usual dining places.
Further to the novelties, there are a few things which remain unchanged, and characterize the Cyprus Strollers as a unique hiking club; among them:
- Commitment to first-class planning and organization
- Excursions alternate between Saturdays and Sundays, thus appealing to more people
- Dedicated website, fully informed, well in advance, in English
- Our caring, multinational character; we are open to Strollers of any nationality, both permanent residents, as well as visitors to the island
- Shared passion for hiking and enjoying the Cyprus countryside, in pleasant company.
The Cyprus Strollers are committed to “Hiking made Pleasant”, our slogan. Please help us to carry on delivering on this promise, with your valuable contribution.
Thank you and enjoy the many walks in store.